Friday, 06 January 2006
Candidate - Billy McAllisterMan of action Billy has been a leading campaigner for community and tenants rights since 1990.
- Led successful anti drug dealer campaign.
- Has worked tirelessly on issues concerning housing within Milton, and led a successful dampness campaign.
- Opposed anti social neighbours - recently instrumental in having
arrests made in two of the worst anti social cases, one in Milton and
one in nearby Cadder.
- Fought a 16 year long campaign against Labour politicians to save
Maryhill swimming baths and Burgh Hall from being sold to developers.
Victory came last year with news that the City Council would re-open
- Headed the group which successfully saved St Augustine's playing fields.
- Was vice-chair of the Glasgow Campaign to defend Council
Housing during the GHA housing stock transfer and was voted by the
people to be the tenant representative for his area.
- Served as a shop steward in the Boilermakers Union and in the
Builders and Labourers Federation of Australia, where he was a tough no
nonsense union negotiator leading several strikes.
- Is a regular guest on BBC Radio Scotland and 5 Live, speaking on tenants issues.
His record stands second to none - the Glaswegian newspaper said: "Democracy needs people like Billy McAllister".
Billy lives in a Glasgow Housing Association flat in Gairbraid, and is a coded welder to trade.